- Will focus on profitable iconic motorcycles
- Will remain committed to Adventure Touring, Streetfighter and advancing electric bikes
- Develop comprehensive strategy for parts, accessories and general merchandise businesses
Harley-Davidson has announced its “The Rewire” plan under which it will re-evaluate its product and business strategies. The company is executing the plan to address the impact of Coronavirus pandemic.
The plan aims to address top-priority opportunities, drive consistent execution and reset the company's operating model. The Rewire actions aim to lead to the definition of a new five-year strategic plan. The new plan will incorporate key products and initiatives from the “More Roads” plan. However, the Review strategy will focus more on the markets and products that can drive performance in terms of profitability and growth.
The key elements of The Rewire plan are:
- Enhance core strengths and better balance expansion into new spaces
- Prioritise the markets that matter
- Reset product launches and product line up for simplicity and maximum impact
- Build the Parts & Accessories and General Merchandise businesses to full potential
- Align P&A and GM strategies with motorcycle strategy for a holistic presentation to the market
The company will focus on the strength of the brand while, at the same time, re-evaluate its strategies to reach new riders. The company will simplify and re-time launches to reflect the new reality.
Harley-Davidson added in its press announcement that it will expand profitable iconic motorcycles. However, the company also assured that it will remain committed to Adventure Touring, Streetfighter and advancing electric motorcycles. Thus, its upcoming products like the Pan America 1250 and the Streetfighter 975 (Bronx) may arrive in the previously announced timeframe i.e. 2021.
In terms of business strategy, Harley-Davidson will narrow its focus and invest in the markets, products and customer segments that offer the most profit and potential. The company will also develop a comprehensive strategy across parts, accessories and general merchandise businesses to grow revenue and margins for both the company and dealers.
The key elements of The Rewire plan include actions that have been implemented or are currently being developed. Harley-Davidson will share more about The Rewire in its Q2 update.