KTM has announced that it will unveil the 1290 Super Duke R on September 29. The Austrian manufacturer has launched a dedicated website for this machine with a countdown that ends on September 29 and a text that says “Something Big is coming”. The global launch is likely to take place during the 2013 EICMA event that starts from November 5.
The concept model of the 1290 Super Duke R was first unveiled at the 2012 EICMA in Italy and it got everyone excited because of its combination of stunning looks and is also expected to have incredible power to weight ratio. The pictures of the production version of the Super Duke R were leaked few weeks ago when the motorcycle was being showcased to American KTM dealers. Visually, there are hardly any differences between the showcased concept model and the production version except the exhaust and the headlamp that now feature a much sharper design.
We are excited about the 1290 Super Duke R as it will be the biggest naked KTM bike to be launched. We will provide you all the details from the unveiling on September 29, so stay tuned to BikeWale!
Want to know what powers this beast? This is what KTM has to say about the prototype version
SPECIFICATIONS: KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R Prototype
• Engine: liquid cooled V-twin, based on RC8 R Superbike with Ride-by-Wire
• Displacement: more than ever
• Power and torque: very, very much
• Electronic assistants: ABS and traction control – stoppie and wheelie protection disengageable (of course)
• Top speed: depends on the rider’s courage and figure
• Frame: Trellis frame made of chrome molybdenum steel
• Swing arm: single sided aluminium swing arm
• Suspension components: WP prototypes–upside-down forks with gas pressure reservoir, directly linked rear shock
• Wheels and tyres: aluminium wheels with slicks
• Brakes: front and rear Brembo racing calipers
• Weight: incredibly low
Check out the teaser video of the 1290 Super Duke R released by KTM